Friday, July 8, 2011

TEARS

        Since I have gotten married, for some bizarre and inexplicable reason, unmitigated emotional upheavals have spawned tears, tears which seem to stream uncontrollably. I don't know if it is because of my newfound awareness with things of love and life, or if it is simply, well.....hormonal.


       In doing some research, purely out of curiosity, I discovered a little known, but somewhat comforting, quote from an unlikely source. Who would have thought that behind novels and short stories, very well-known to the common man, such as The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle, was a wise man with a wise diagnosis of the symbolic nature of our tears?


       I, myself, have always been one who refused to allow anyone to witness my own tears, considering them to be a display of weakness. I still have that apprehension even today. But after uncovering this obscure citation from Washington Irving (author of the aforementioned stories) I am slightly more dauntless in breaking down the dam and letting the waters flow. After reading this quote, you may be too:
                    "There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness,
                    but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues.
                    They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love."

No comments:

Post a Comment