Wednesday, June 29, 2011

STARBUCKS, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!


      Addiction can be defined as: the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice, or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
              I developed an atrocious, chronic habit in my college years; one from which I am now unfortunately “reaping” the repercussions. The continuing, nagging urge to satiate this dreaded desire is relentless; the invitation is still to this day difficult to decline.
              Every time I saw that dark green and white logo (the origin of the name emblazoned within is still a mystery to me) my heart would skip a beat, and even race as I reached those glass doors and gleefully entered, drifting to the counter where I would order a, "Tall White Chocolate Mocha with skim milk and whipped cream, please". (btw, the irony of “skim milk” and “whipped cream” does not escape me!)
         Though the $5 beverage would leave a dreaded void in a college student’s wallet, temporarily satisfying my “addiction” to the mixed espresso blend made it all invaluable and worthwhile to me at the time.
             Now, being married and fully apperceiving the financial position (or lack thereof!) of newlyweds, it has become quite challenging to break what had become a familiar indulgence. Driving by that sign and denying myself this customary pleasure has become exceedingly difficult. I wonder if it will ever subside?

No comments:

Post a Comment